Parents choose to enroll their children in martial arts classes for a variety of reasons. Whether your interested in highly effective self-defense, neutralizing the effects of bullying, or improving your child’s behavior, confidence and self-esteem, there is no better art than Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Brazilian “Jiu-Jitsu”, translated as “The Gentle Art”, employs several leverage-based self-defense techniques that allow even smaller, weaker practitioners to effectively neutralize physical threats during an assault from larger, stronger assailants.
Generally, martial arts programs (i.e. Karate, Tae Kwon Do) train practitioners to employ violence to counter the violence of an attacker. Unfortunately, these striking techniques will typically only escalate the danger for your child, as well as the assailant. Instead of teaching your child to punch or kick, Peoria Athletic Club will prepare your child to master the following skills:
- Clearly identify the difference between harmless play and a threat.
- Take every measure to avoid the fight.
- Defeat verbal attacks.
- Effectively defend themself if physically attacked.
- Establish control without using violence until help arrives.
- Utilize the minimum possible force if required to fully neutralize the threat.
These skills have consistently been proven to empower children to effectively address immediate physical threats. Further, the child will be prepared to deter the abusive threats, intimidation and assaults of a bully that often lead to life-long psychological and emotional torment if not successfully addressed.
The resulting benefits of studying Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, however, are significantly greater than self-defense alone. Most parents begin to notice their children continually improving in the following areas:
- Emotional well being – self-esteem, confidence, social skills, self-control
- Success characteristics – respect, discipline, focus, determination, teamwork, leadership, responsibility, commitment
- Physical Fitness – strength, coordination, flexibility, body composition
Peoria Athletic Club provides a fun, safe environment for your child to learn practical self-defense and life skills that will enable them to lead healthy lives on and off the mat. Contact us today to learn more about our program and take advantage of a complimentary, no obligation Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class. We hope to see you and your child soon!
no images were found